Friday, August 12, 2011

Why do new social networking sites become popular every few years !

Why does a new social networking site become popular every few years !

This is my take why !
When I first went to graduate college I realized the whole world around me had a yahoo id , I also had one I was happy , but then suddenly people started talking Gtalk. I registered myself and started chatting with my friends over Gtalk. This went on for 3- 4 years. This is when I moved to postgraduate college by which time whole of the world around me started sending me invites for Orkut, all our chats discussions started happening on Orkut scrapbook and we wrote testimonials for each other. But point to be noticed here was that these new friends on Orkut were only my new college friends. Then over a period of time I also added few of my old friends but only those whom I wanted to.

Next phase came Facebook, we all happily moved there added our good friends from postgraduate and early work years to facebook friends, few months later happily declared not orkuting regularly these days.
Was orkut bad ? was gtalk useless ? we moved out not because the platform was bad, but we din’t want those friends in our lives any more. Because everytime you logged on orkut they would see you online and want to chat with you !

Now we want to move away from facebook for the same reasons , work, family & friends on the same portal, you want to post a pic with your girlfriend /boyfriend but mom is also on facebook, what will boss say ?
You bunked work to party with friends and someone tagged you ? ha ha got caught isn’t it ?

Different groups for different relations in google + , let’s see how far do they take you ? 3 – 4 years later , when you’ll be married and have kids, would still want your girlfriends to know ? when you would have moved companies would you still want your colleagues to know how good you’ve done in life and that you have joined a competitor ????

2 Comments:

At 9:11 AM , Blogger A Few Good Men said...

Hmmm...dont know ..thought provoking..

 
At 2:05 PM , Blogger Sidharth Patro said...

My mom once said that she too would like a facebook page. I responded, "please stay away from that nonsense".

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home